HO Slot Racers Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyco, But What Are They?

4 posters

Go down

Tyco, But What Are They? Empty Tyco, But What Are They?

Post by PD2 Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Tyco, But What Are They? Img_2215Tyco, But What Are They? Img_2214Tyco, But What Are They? Img_2213Tyco, But What Are They? Img_2212

Tyco, But What Are They? Img_2211

I know these are Tyco cars from back when I was a kid, but since they are not stamped with HP2, HP7, 440x2, etc., I have no idea what chassis they would be. Can anyone identify these?

They are blazing fast, even at 12V and for being many years old. I want to say that these are from the early 80's, maybe late 70's? Take a look and see if you can identify them. The bodies I had with them - the Indy cars were special orders or something like that, if I remember right - so were the Vette bodies. My buddy and I had pairs of everything and raced complex and elaborate Tyco and AFX track layouts - that's back when Tyco and AFX would fit together.

Thanks for any help!
PD2 Cool

PD2

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Tyco, But What Are They? Empty Re: Tyco, But What Are They?

Post by Mr. Champion Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:52 am

Looks like 440X2's to me. The regular 440 had a bar magnet, the X2 introduced the two traction magnets. There is a Mattel site that offers these cars for $3 a piece but I seem to have lost the link. They still make great slot cars today and were the basis of just about all of the racing classes from the early 1980's on. I believe they were introduced in 1983.

Mr. Champion

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PD2 Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 am

Mr. Champion you are right! Dang it. How did I miss that? For whatever reason I thought I was looking at a 440x2, but I think it was an HP2 or HP7 instead. But yes, I just compared this to a close up pic of the 440x2 at Slot Car Central and sure enough, these are 440x2! How cool! I was already racing and using 440x2 chassis back then. And yes, I think the year you have there is right. I just popped off the front axle and the Tyco stamp does not show Malaysia - it shows HK = Hong Kong. Wonder when they were made in HK?

Thanks again for helping me out! Totally missed this one...hello Captain Obvious here! LOL!

PD2 Cool

PD2

Back to top Go down

Post by eastsidejohnny Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:21 pm

I've got the link for the chassis at the mattel site here someplace. They were for the pan chassis & last time I looked a couple of weeks ago they were atill listed as back order. The most they would let you order at one time was 6 which I did get. Went back a month later & they were on back order ever since. I wanted to use them for parts to freshen up some narrow chassis I have in a "House Car" set. Cheaper than buying parts! I suppose that they got a lot of orders when the word got out about the site. be back later with a link................John
eastsidejohnny
eastsidejohnny

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by eastsidejohnny Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Hey guys, here's a link to the site where you can get the Tyco chassis'
I think that there is a maximum of six?
John

https://store.mattel.com/CatalogBrowser.aspx?cat=139&sec=9225&productid=none&tx=103 Cool Shocked
eastsidejohnny
eastsidejohnny

Back to top Go down

Post by PD2 Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:18 am

Thanks John! That is freakin cool! I'll have to place an order and see if I can get some at a later date, but thanks for providing the link! You can't beat $2.98 for any slot car! And if they perform any where near these do, what a deal!

Thanks for posting up and posting the link! I appreciate it!

PD2 Cool

PD2

Back to top Go down

Post by eastsidejohnny Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:50 am

You're most welcome.....that's how this works.
I put in an order last night & didn't see anything about back orders so it looks like they are in stock again. Just got an e-mail from Mattel saying that they are processing the order!.....it also included another site to order parts from.
http://www.service.mattel.com
Haven't looked at that site yet.
eastsidejohnny
eastsidejohnny

Back to top Go down

Post by PD2 Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:32 am

Cool John! Took a look at the service site and did not see anything like a parts catalog or anything. Maybe you have to send them an e-mail message asking about the parts you need? Regardless, great sources of info! Thanks again!

When you get the cars, if you don't mind, post up some pics so I can kind of compare them to the old ones I have.

Thanks again!
PD2 Cool

PD2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete McKay Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:14 am

Lucky Bob's still sells loose bodies for these cars, and if you want to swap out the pan chassis for the narrow Scale Auto and others still sell just the bare chassis.

Pete McKay
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-03-18

https://hoslotracers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eastsidejohnny Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:51 pm

I got the six chassis in the mail Friday...haven't opened the bags but they have what looks like a smooth silicone tire on the rears. I also peeked into the service site & entered slot cars in the search window. It connected me to the site in the first link. Went to the Richfield show earlier today....blew the budget again!
eastsidejohnny
eastsidejohnny

Back to top Go down

Post by PD2 Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:33 am

Pete,

These 4 bodies are all I have for that chassis, so that is good to know. In fact, one body has no chassis at all - not sure what happened to it....maybe my buddy from way back in the day snagged it. But definitely good to know if I don't want to run these - the Indy cars still have their wings! Never been broken or glued!

Johnny,

So it sounds like they are in-stock! Cool! Man my funds need to change! Just took another 10% cut in pay week before last. That is over 33% reduction since last year. OUCH! Anyway, if you have a chance, would love to see some pics. I appreciate it!

PD2 Cool

PD2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete McKay Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:14 am

One thing of note guys, the AMG Rocket Dirt Modified was made specifically for this chassis. Just remove the traction magnets and you have a real high horsepower slider.

Pete McKay
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-03-18

https://hoslotracers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PD2 Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:37 am

OOOO....I'll have to remember that with my AMG body order. Add that to my DP and your recent NASCoT. Good to know Pete!

Thanks!
PD2 Cool

PD2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down